Sour Cream & Cheddar Baked Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes really are the perfect side dish and I love them with just about anything! Homemade mashed potatoes are a must have at least a few times a month at our house and we never get sick of them. This summer I thought we would be adventurous and try our hands at growing a few different varieties of potatoes in our garden. I have never grown potatoes before, but I have found some really fun and neat ideas that I’ve pinned to my Gardening Board on Pinterest that I think my family might really enjoy trying out. Do you grow your own potatoes?
These Sour Cream & Cheddar Baked Mashed Potatoes really are one of my favorites. For me, these warm and cheesy potatoes are so comforting! Thick sour cream and freshly grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese are swirled into buttery whipped russet potatoes which are then sprinkled with even more Sharp Cheddar Cheese. The mashed potatoes are then baked until the cheese is melted, bubbly and light golden brown in color for a side dish that will taste delicious with your Easter Ham. These potatoes go well with just about anything and are great for potlucks or as a dish to pass for a party or get together. If your family loves cheesy, creamy side dishes, then these potatoes are sure to become a favorite!
- 5 lbs. Russet Potatoes, peeled, rinsed and quartered
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 (16. oz.) container sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups 2 % milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 cup freshly grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
- In a large stock pot, cover the potatoes with cold water, bring to a boil and cook until you can easily pierce with a fork (about 35 minutes or so).
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain potatoes and return to the pot.
- Use a potato masher and give the potatoes a quick mash.
- Add the butter, half of the sour cream and half of the milk and start whipping them with a hand held mixer.
- Add the remaining sour cream and milk, whip together until well blended.
- Add the salt and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Whip together until blended.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and spoon the potatoes into the dish evenly.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the remaining 1 1/2 cups of Sharp Cheddar cheese and cover with foil being careful not to touch the cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and keep covered until you are ready to serve.
- Serves 8-10.
*Linking up at: Chef In Training,Feeding Big,Simply Gloria,Cooking with Curls,Call Me PMC,Cupcakes & Crinoline,Savvy Southern Style,Just A Girl and Her Blog,VMG206,Buns In My Oven,The Best Blog Recipes
You May Also Like:
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means that if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. I only recommend products or services that I personally use and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”