While the weather outside still hasn’t quite made it’s mind up about what season it is, I have decided to move on and pretend it’s already Spring! I spent this past weekend getting a head start on my “Spring Cleaning” and organizing in my kitchen. That darn forced air furnace that seemed to be running nonstop these past few months sure created a lot of dust in tricky places! It felt good to clean appliances, go through the cupboards and wash the walls but by the end of the afternoon, I was tired and ready for a break. What perfect way to end a day of Spring cleaning than with a delicious Spring type dessert?!
This Easy Lemon & Coconut Cream Pie is a cinch to make and your family will love it! You can start with a good quality store bought crust, or homemade if you prefer. Since I was kind of wiped out from cleaning, I just used a convenient store bought one! The delicious cream filling is made with coconut milk, coconut flakes, heavy cream, sugar, fresh lemon zest, eggs and a little flour and is cooked in the microwave! That’s right. The microwave! You can combine the filling ingredients and give them a good whisk and then cook in 1 minute intervals, whisking well after each minute until it cooks and thickens. Mine took me only 7 minutes and I was ready to pour it into my pre baked crust and chill. There is no worrying about burning cream filling and it takes less time to prepare than on top of the stove! After this tasty pie is completely chilled, you can simply whip up some homemade whip cream (you can also use a store bought whipped cream if you like) and then garnish the pie with toasted coconut and lemon zest, slice and serve! This pie is perfect any day of the week, but would also make a great addition to your Easter dessert table. Enjoy!
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 (9) inch pie crust, store bought or homemade, baked and cooled
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup untoasted coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- (1 cup heavy cream, 2 Tbsp. confectioner's sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla- whip together until stiff peaks are just about to form)
- Store bought whipped cream
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted coconut
- zest of lemon (optional)
- Mix all of the filling ingredients together in a large, glass mixing bowl.
- Whisk and stir together until incorporated well and place in the microwave for 1 minute intervals, stirring and whisking well after each minute until the filling is cooked, thick and creamy.
- It took me 7 minutes in my microwave, you may have to do a few minutes more or less depending on your microwave.
- When the filling is thick, pour into the pie crust and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours or until completely cooled.
- Add your whipped cream, toasted coconut and lemon zest (optional), cut and serve!
- Makes (1) 9 inch pie.
- Store left over pie in the refrigerator- I suggest not adding the toasted coconut until you are ready to serve, because it can lose that nice crunch after it's on the topping and stored in the refrigerator.
*Linking up at :