Banana Bread is one of my family’s favorite snacks. We eat it for breakfast a lot and it always makes an appearance on the table at family gatherings. Every once in a while I find myself with a counter full of ripe bananas. It’s not that we don’t eat them, but I swear sometimes they just seem to ripen overnight. I actually like my bananas when they are slightly green, so once they have black spots on them, into a bread they go. I like to make multiple loaves of banana bread at once and then freeze them so I have them conveniently available.
This week when I went to the grocery store, I stocked up on some delicious, juicy strawberries. They looked so good, I just couldn’t resist! Strawberries won’t be ready here for about another month, but these looked wonderful and I knew they wouldn’t go to waste. My children have been adding them to their yogurt and cereal or just eating them plain with some cheese and crackers for a snack. We had been so busy eating strawberries, that the bananas on the counter this week got pretty ripe. When I went to make a few loaves of banana bread yesterday, I decided to throw some of those sweet strawberries into the mix. Oh, and some chocolate too!
This moist Whole Wheat Banana Strawberry Chocolate Chip Bread is absolutely delicious! The ripe bananas mixed with fresh, chopped strawberries and dark chocolate chips made this a really special breakfast and snack. I love that fresh berry flavor in every bite and it went along perfectly with my coffee in the morning. This recipe makes 2 large loaves, so I saved one for Mother’s Day! It will be a nice addition to our brunch!
If you are looking for a simple, but different way to bake with bananas and strawberries give this recipe a try! It’s berry good!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, fresh strawberries
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, soda, powder and salt and set aside.
- In your Kitchen Aid Mixer, beat the butter with the sugars until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and egg whites one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, alternating with the half and half until combined well.
- Don't forget to scrape down the bowl to make sure everything gets blended well.
- Carefully mix in the dark chocolate chips and then strawberries.
- Evenly fill 2 large, greased loaf pans with the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes or completely on a wire rack before removing the bread from the loaf pan.
- Serve with fresh butter.
- *If freezing: Let cool completely and wrap well in plastic wrap and store in a plastic freezer bag.
*Linking up at: