Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? I always loved grilled cheese sandwiches when I was a child. I remember real butter spread on regular white bread, stuffed with American cheese slices and grilled in a skillet until it had a perfect, beautiful golden color along with a delicious crunch when I took the first bite. When I was a child, we never, ever served grilled cheese sandwiches without applesauce! We still don’t! That crisp sandwich with melted cheese was always cut in half and dipped in sweet applesauce for the perfect lunch. Yum! If you haven’t tried it- trust me, you won’t ever eat your grilled cheese sandwich without the applesauce again! What are your childhood grilled cheese sandwich memories?
So the month of April is almost over (can you believe it?!) and I am going to share one of my favorite, more “grown up” grilled cheese sandwiches with you. These creamy Broccoli, Provolone & Ricotta Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are great for lunch or dinner and even go well with a glass of wine! The melted provolone cheese and warm ricotta blend perfectly with the fresh and tender broccoli inside two perfectly grilled buttery Italian bread slices. If you would like to add more vegetables to your sandwich, fresh spinach and red peppers are great additions to this sandwich. Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month with this delicious sandwich this weekend!
- 8 pieces of Italian style bakery bread sliced thin
- 1 head of fresh broccoli florets, cooked until just tender (I like to cut my florets in half so I can lay them flat on the sandwich)
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- 12 oz. ricotta cheese
- Butter the outside of your bread and place it in your skillet.
- Layer 2 slices of provolone cheese onto the bread, then spread a few Tbsp. of ricotta, then an even layer of broccoli, a few more spoonfuls of ricotta, then one more slice of provolone cheese and cover with the other piece of bread.
- Repeat for remaining three sandwiches.
- Grill until golden brown on both sides.
- Makes 4 sandwiches.
*Linking up at :