Asparagus. I just love fresh asparagus! I know it’s available at the grocery store most of the time, but I am talking about fresh, you went to the farm and picked it that morning kind of asparagus. My family and I actually head out to a small farm a few miles from our home almost every year in the Spring to pick this delicious vegetable. Usually it’s so tender and has this wonderful slight sweetness, that you can just eat it plain, freshly picked. It ends up being a great snack for my children too. They love to eat the food that they picked all by themselves. This year, unfortunately, we didn’t make it there for our own picking, but my husband was very sweet and made sure to stop at the stand on the way home from work one day and brought home a bag full!
Since I had an abundance of asparagus in my refrigerator, I have used it a lot this week in my cooking. One of my favorite ways to eat asparagus is in this simple Baked Eggs dish. This meal is so easy to prepare, it uses fresh and healthy ingredients and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Fresh, chopped asparagus is sauteed with garlic, baby spinach, and grape tomatoes in a cast iron skillet topped with eggs, a little seasoning and Parmesan cheese and is then baked in the oven for a quick 15 minutes. Add some fresh parsley and a little more freshly grated Parmesan for a delicious meal that can be served with bread and/or fresh seasonal fruit. Sometimes it’s hard to get all of your fruits and vegetables into our diets, but this meal makes it easy. Even on the weekends, you can quickly get this into the oven and take your time eating and drinking coffee on the front porch as the day begins. What a great way to start the day! Does your family like asparagus? What are your favorite ways to eat it?
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb. fresh asparagus, chopped into larger pieces
- 2 large handfuls of organic spinach
- handful of grape tomatoes
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a 8 inch cast iron skillet, warm the butter and oil on medium heat.
- Add the fresh asparagus and the garlic and saute, continually stirring for a few minutes.
- When the garlic starts to become fragrant, add 1 handful of spinach, the tomatoes and sea salt and saute, continually stirring being careful not to burn the garlic.
- After a few minutes, add the other handful of spinach.
- Saute until the spinach is wilted then turn off the heat.
- Make 4 small wells, still on top of the vegetables and add the fresh eggs.
- Season with the black pepper and a touch more salt if desired and the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the egg whites are set.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and more cheese if desired.
- Serve immediately with bread and fresh fruit.
- Serves 2 to 4.
You May Also Enjoy:
*Linking up at: